10 Years of Providing Hope
“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’” Matthew 25:40 (New Living Translation)
The least of these – those were the words of inspiration that led a group of Bible believers and Jesus followers to envision Ministry Village at Olive more than 10 years ago. Led by Dr. Ted Traylor at Olive Baptist Church, Ministry Village at Olive was conceived as an organization that would provide help to those in our community who are hurting – food for the hungry, resources for the poor and destitute, liberation and hope for the addicted, and nourishment from the Word of God for everyone who will receive it.
Born from the devastation following Hurricane Ivan in September 2004, Ministry Village at Olive, Inc. (MVO) was incorporated in May 2008 and has been growing steadily since. Current ministries include:
- Charis House – a 25-bed addiction recovery program for women;
- Tender Hearts Caring Hands – a benevolence program giving area residents rental/utility assistance and items from MVO’s food pantry, as well as care packages for transients;
- Most Excellent Way – an addiction recovery support group hosting multiple meetings each week, as well as an active jail ministry that watches over the children of incarcerated parents; and
- Ministry Village Bargain Center – a local nonprofit thrift store whose purpose is to generate financial support for the Ministry Village programs.
In January 2018, Ministry Village broke ground on its newest endeavor, the state-of-the-art Early Learning Center. Recognizing the need to pour love into the lives of our youngest community members, the Ministry Village Early Learning Center will focus on providing high quality, early learning childcare programs for children from birth to pre-kindergarten.
Since its inception in May 2008, Ministry Village at Olive has
- rescued 101 women from addiction through the Charis House;
- counseled and supported more than 20,000 people through Most Excellent Way; and
- provided more than
- 12,000 family food bags,
- 3,000 transient care packages, and
- $650,000 in financial assistance
to local residents through Tender Hearts Caring Hands.
“The 10 year anniversary of Ministry Village is a wonderful milestone, but there are many neighbors who still need our help,” said Bobby Price, Jr., chairman of the Ministry Village Board of Directors. “We are tremendously grateful for the outpouring of support we have received from all of our donors and volunteers throughout these 10 years. Together, we are making a visible impact in our community. Every day, there are still more opportunities for Ministry Village to help heal those in our community who need to see the love of Jesus through our helping hands.”
Through your donations to the Bargain Center, your contributions to the Tender Hearts Food Pantry, and your financial offerings to Ministry Village, YOU have made a difference in our community. You have brought the hands and feet of Jesus alive to our neighbors – to families that have struggled – to people who needed to find hope.
Thank you for your generosity over these past 10 years. More opportunities are on the horizon – we have much work still to do. Join with us as we minister to the world outside our front door.