Giving Thanks Always
At this time of year, it’s normal for us to think about the things for which we are grateful. At Ministry Village at Olive – YOU, our supporters, are at the top of our list. We are able to do what we do every day because of the support we receive from you all year long. Without you, we could not bless our community in so many ways. So for these next 2 weeks, our blog will be focused on thanking our supporters, volunteers, and all those who make it possible for the team at MVO to shine the light of Jesus in our community.
You donate food. You donate funding. You donate your time. You donate items to the Bargain Center that are sold for funding to support the Charis House. You lead devotions for the Charis House women. You lead Most Excellent Way meetings. You pray – for our Charis House ladies – for our Early Learning Center teachers – for our food pantry recipients – for our staff.
While we are thankful for you every day, all year long, we want to take this time to thank you specifically for the ways you bless us at MVO, as well as to highlight many of our volunteers and supporters who put in so much time behind the scenes to make a difference through our ministries.
We are honored to have Charis House volunteers who pour into the lives of our women every day. Without their daily teaching, our clients would not have the proper tools to fight the battles they need to on a regular basis. We thank each of our volunteers – those who teach classes, make crafts, encourage the ladies, pray for our clients and staff, and mentor the ladies. We are especially appreciative for the ways they demonstrate God’s goodness to our clients. Each of these things play an important role in the lives of the women in our care.
We are also grateful for the most recent Charis House Graduation we held in October. Graduation is always a big accomplishment, and it is a blessing to see another group of women make it through the first 12 months of their program and succeed. “I’m very grateful to be part of God’s amazing work, and to see the ladies bloom from caterpillars to the beautiful butterflies that they are,” says Vanessa Bettis, Director of Women’s Recovery. “One thing I always point out to the ladies in the program is that the butterfly does not look back at the caterpillar in shame, just as they should not look back at their past in shame. Their past is a part of the transformation. I’m always grateful for being a part of Charis House at Olive.”
Store Manager Julie Paden is thankful for the Charis House ladies. “Without them this would not be possible. They are here every afternoon and every Saturday. They help us clean, process clothing and hardgoods, and receive donations. They are just awesome. We appreciate them so much, and all that they do.” Julie also credits her team of faithful volunteers for keeping the Bargain Center operating smoothly. “They come in on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings and work so hard. Audrey Salter and Charlotte Anderson help us sort and process hardgoods, and Kathy Clements, Margie Adkison, and Patty Trent help us with all the books and clothing. I am also very thankful for all of our employees. We are a team, and everyone works together to get things done. We have a great staff and they all contribute in their own special way.”
Julie is also thankful for opportunities to reach and bless the community. “We are grateful that we can help the homeless in this community by providing clothing vouchers and food when necessary. This year, we began providing clothing vouchers to the Hall Center for children who need help. That has been one of the greatest things we have ever done. We get to share the love of Jesus through our actions.”
Our MEW meetings provide a supportive place for individuals and families to find hope in their struggles with addiction. Our MEW leaders donate their time to lead our meetings – but more important than that, they offer everyone their open hearts. They’ve suffered through the pain that addiction causes in lives, and they have seen God work in miraculous and steadfast ways. It is this prayerful support and encouragement that our MEW leaders offer to anyone who is willing to listen. Thank you to our MEW leaders for their willingness to open their hearts in the hopes that others will reach for God’s grace in their lives as well – Stacey Paden, Isreal Fisher, Todd Robinson, Morgan Robinson, Chad Jordan, and Terry Matthews.
Next week, we’ll shine a spotlight on those who work with the Ministry Village Early Learning Center, Tender Hearts Caring Hands, as well as a few other folks for whom we want to express our appreciation and gratitude.
The mission of Ministry Village at Olive is to put the words of Jesus into action throughout our community – “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:40, NIV) If you are looking for a place to demonstrate kindness to others for the glory of God, give us a call. We have opportunities through the Bargain Center; at our Tender Hearts Caring Hands benevolence program and food pantry; through the Most Excellent Way addiction support groups; at the Charis House; and at the Ministry Village Early Learning Center. Visit our volunteer page to signup, or call our office.
- The Charis House is a non-profit Christian-based residential substance abuse recovery program for females. The program is designed in 3 phases, each offering stages of recovery that provide the necessary tools for a practical transition into a new lifestyle free of addiction. The faith-based recovery program addresses the client’s personal relationship with God as the foundation for healing and wholeness. It requires a willingness to change and adhere to a controlled, strict and disciplined environment, allowing life-changing experiences to occur. There is no fee to apply.
- To learn more about the Charis House, or how you can support our programs, click here or contact Vanessa Bettis at 850-475-1116 or VBettis@MinistryVillage.org.
- To donate to the Charis House bedroom makeover, contact Ms. Vanessa – email VBettis@ministryvillage.org or call (850) 475-1116.
- To shop for the Charis House bedroom makeover, click here to visit the Amazon Wish List of items that the Charis House could use. Items include bedding, rugs, and curtains as well as a variety of kitchen items and décor. And if you sign up and shop through Amazon Smile by clicking here, a portion of your purchase price will be donated to Ministry Village! So you’re giving is TWICE as NICE!
- The Ministry Village Bargain Center, located at 92 E. Nine Mile Road, is open Monday through Saturday, 9AM to 5PM. Donations of clean, unbroken, good condition items are accepted Monday through Saturday, 9AM to 4PM.
- MEW meetings are held on Tuesdays and Fridays at 7PM at Olive Baptist Church. There is no cost to attend. Call Scott at (850) 475-1112 for more information.
- To donate financially to any Ministry Village program, click here.