Ways to Serve Through Ministry Village at Olive – Part 3
Ministry Village at Olive offers a variety of ministries with many opportunities to help individuals and families right here in your own backyard. We would love for you to join us as we strive to serve as the hands and feet of Jesus throughout our community. Follow this series throughout November as we highlight our programs and specific ways you can help. This week, we put the spotlight on Tender Hearts Caring Hands.
Tender Hearts Caring Hands is our care and kindness ministry that focuses on serving individuals and families in Escambia and Santa Rosa County who have significant need. We offer a food pantry for families and homeless neighbors in need and financial assistance to those who qualify. The holidays are certainly an important time for us to be able to meet these needs; but truly, there are hungry families in our area every month of the year.
How can you serve?
- Donate shelf-stable food items regularly to the food pantry – bags of rice, canned vegetables, canned meats, pasta, canned fruit, etc. During the holiday season, consider donating special “holiday” type foods such as stuffing, canned pumpkin, canned gravy, cranberry sauce – the same types of foods your family is likely to eat during the holidays. Providing special items like these helps to add a little extra cheer to our hungry friends and neighbors during an otherwise challenging time.
- Donate easy-open food items that do not require cooking to be used in the food bags distributed to the homeless
- Donate travel size hygiene items, bandaids, mouthwash, socks, etc. to be used in hygiene bags distributed to the homeless. An easy way to help is to bring in your hotel toiletries to the Ministry Village office after you return from a trip!
- Donate money – if you don’t have the time or inclination to shop for items to donate, making a financial donation to Ministry Village and Tender Hearts Caring Hands is a simple but effective way to provide for those in need. Financial donations allow Ministry Village to purchase gift cards for those who need gas in their cars to get to school or work, and grocery store gift cards so families can buy perishable items like milk that Tender Hearts can’t store. Financial donations also assist Tender Hearts Caring Hands in paying utilities for those who qualify, helping families who are struggling to keep their lights and water on, and their heat or air conditioning running – things many of us take for granted.
- Pickup weekly food donations from Publix and deliver to the Ministry Village office. We are blessed to receive generous donations from Publix each week, but it takes time away from our office, and away from helping clients, to pickup these donations. If you can pickup the donations each week and deliver them to our office on Olive’s main campus, that would be a blessing to us.
- Volunteer time at the Ministry Village office to organize the food pantry. With each donation comes the need to arrange and rearrange our food storage. If you like to organize, we could use your help!! If you don’t like to organize but are willing, we can show you our system and would truly appreciate your time.
- Offer administrative support in the MVO Office, answering incoming phone calls, providing information to those who call about services, making copies, etc. If you enjoy clerical and secretarial work, we could use your skills a few hours a week!
- Volunteer time to “build” the food and hygiene bags Tender Hearts distributes to our clients. When we receive donations, we need hands to organize and package those donations, preparing them for our clients. A few hours a week is all it takes to make a difference.
Donations of food and hygiene items can be made at the Ministry Village office on Olive Road Monday through Friday from 8 am to 2 pm, or call to make arrangements. Contact Kathie Schuster at 475-1118 (KSchuster@MinistryVillage.org) for more information on serving through Tender Hearts Caring Hands.
Come back next week to learn how you can get involved and give back through the Charis House!